Friday, July 29, 2016

Book Review: The One That Got Away BM Day 15



Fondness, memories,
All these years, they meet again,
Discomfort creeps in.

There's some spark, that
Reignites the emotions.
Love is in the air?





This is the gist of the novel The One That Got Away by Priyanka Menon.

This book tells the story of Jai (Jairam Nair) and Shyamita (Bose), school best buddies, who meet after twelve years in the wedding of their friends, Geet and Karan.

And then, what happens? Well, I have said much in my haiku and for the rest of the things, you'll have to read the book.

The writing is good. The author has portrayed the characters nicely. The essence of love and friendship reflects. The discomfort between Jai and Shyamita is done skilfully, it seems natural. I liked the way Shyamita cared for Jai's mother and sister.

I just wanted to know more about Shyamita and Jai's life after the school and before this wedding. Especially Shyamita's life.  Also, frequent/loud usage of full names (Jairam Nair!) of the characters annoyed me at times.

The setting, being the big fat wedding throughout the book (almost) , was a little monotonous. But, the author has described the setting well. It creates a vivid imagery.

Overall, it was a nice quick read. If you enjoy reading about love and friendship, it would be an interesting read on a lazy afternoon or if you are traveling (I was travelling when I read this book! :). I did not like the cover. It could have been more interesting.

I won this book in a giveaway, and I loved the personal note by the author. Thank you!


Sharing with Blog Chatter Blog Marathon




No comments:

Post a Comment