Thursday, April 24, 2014

Book Review: The One You Cannot Have by Preeti Shenoy


 

I finished reading  “The One You Cannot Have” by Preeti Shenoy. I have read all her previous novels and really liked them. I expected the same from TOUCH and trust me it was such a beautiful read that it still lingers in my mind.

This book is a beautiful love triangle. Aman, Shruti and Anjali. Aman and Shruti were inseparable for four years that they never imaged their life without each other. But fate plays its trick. Shruti is now married to Rishabh and her marriage is on the rocks. Anjali, after six disastrous dates, finally finds a true friend and lover in Aman. But Aman is still living in the past.

The One You Cannot Have (Westland Books) is an emotional journey. Every journey has its destination. So, what’s the destination of TOUCH? For this, you’ll have to read the book.

The book is written in first person, from the point of view of every key character and I really liked this idea.

Honestly speaking, when I started reading this book, I was a little disappointed. I found the first two chapters slightly plain (Unlike Ms.Shenoy’s previous books) but after that, her words started to play magic.

Lucid flow of narration makes the execution smooth. The writing is very intelligent. Each chapter, from different points of view, ends at the peak point that you eagerly want to know more. The characters and situations are relatable and very well defined.

I loved the character of Anjali!

I felt that the story ended a trifle abruptly as I expected Shruti’s thoughts one last time.

But I loved the closing lines:

“Did the sun rise from the west this morning?” says my mother.
“I don’t know about that. It’s just that the sunshine reached my heart this morning”


Overall, for me, it was a delightful read. It’s interesting, touching and engrossing. I would say it’s a must read for every fiction lover.


I thank Bookadorers for this lovely read as I won this book in a giveaway contest conducted by them on twitter.



7 comments:

  1. Wow you seem to be winning all amazing books!

    Liked the review :) Yet to read this one though....

    ReplyDelete
  2. came over from your other blog...

    I have now read a lot of reviews on Preeti shenoy's books, and this one too seems to be a good book.

    Bikram

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her books are nice to read.
      Thanks for visiting :)

      Delete
  3. I loved this book...
    A good read...

    And congrats!!!

    ReplyDelete