Saturday, February 22, 2014

Book Review: The Other Side by Faraaz Kazi and Vivek Banerjee



Finished reading "The Other Side" by Faraaz Kazi and Vivek Banerjee. The book is an interesting collection of thirteen different paranormal/supernatural/ghost stories.

I have a keen interest in paranormal/supernatural fiction. They don't scare me but, if nicely crafted, they do entertain me. I remember, while chatting random things how often our conversation landed on Gothic 'so called' real life tales.

In 'The Other Side', stories are well crafted. It opens with an interesting forward by Mr. Faraaz Kaazi, though I didn't find the prelude very interesting (But yes, it ends on a chilling note).

Some stories are common and predictable, like the first story, "That Fateful Night" , where a doctor visits to treat an ailing old lady. 'Possession' which reminded me of "The Exorcist". And "The Mark of the Beast" where a newly wed couple meets with strange, deadly adventure on their honeymoon.

Story "Unfulfilled Desires" is more like an investigative story and "Dream Girl" evokes a feeling of filth.

"The Long Weekend", "Strangers in the Night" and "Red Bangles" are really unpredictable and  my favourites!!

"The Man Who Did Not Fear", "The Lady in the Pub", and "Mother's Love" are nice stories but I didn't find "The Muse Comes Calling" and "The Mystery Lake" very interesting.

Overall, it's a nice collection! Predictable or not predictable, the stories are well written and gripping! The narration creates spooky imagery. You just want to finish them.

For me, it was an interesting and engrossing read. I recommend this to every fiction lover especially who likes to read paranormal/supernatural/ghost stories.

I thank Mr. Faraaz Kazi who sent me this book for an unbiased review!

Sharing with: Book Reviews
                    Tales Pensive




No comments:

Post a Comment